Belize was a quick stop as it can get pretty expensive but we knew that we wanted to get some diving in. We found a place that would do a refresher course plus 2 more days diving for a reasonable price. The water was warm and the diving was sweet, we saw a turtle 100 feet down off the Ranguana Caye canyons.
Dwayne from Joy Tours was our guide – really cool guy and an awesome guide.
All the people we met in Belize were super friendly, the kids are unafraid and extremely well-mannered. Placencia had a very unspoiled vibe to it – real smiles and genuine greetings.
When we were not in the water we could be found:
- Learning the basics of dominoes with some guys sitting by the dock
- Listening to the lilting Creole spoken in the streets
- Tom breaking out some dance moves with a lady in the grocery store, which had her erupt into gales and whoops of laughter.
- Drinking Belizean Long Island Ice teas made with 9 kinds of rum while watching the blue Caribbean waters.
- Drumming empty paint cans with some of the local kids.
- Eating delicious home made treats by dive masters/chefs Simone and Herb of Danube restaurant
Next stop Guatemala for a couple weeks intensive language immersion… Yikes!